So when Valerie began waxing eloquent about her twelfth or so journey through The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, it was as though an unspoken dare was issued: skip dinner and go straight to dessert.
I've longed to go through the series myself but have procrastinated because: 1) I wasn't sure the kids were ready for it yet; 2) reading seven fiction books seemed like a luxury I couldn't afford; 3) where would I find the time?; 4) I attempted the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe as a child and never got far; and 5) I couldn't decide which book to start off with first. (There are two schools of thought and both presented good cases.)
After some thought, I decided: 1) I'd read it first without the kids; 2) I'd take it slowly; 3) I'd make the time; 4) I'd try again; and 5) I'd start with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe because someone once said that it was only right to enter Narnia for the first time with Lucy and I liked that line of reasoning.
Just one bite, I told myself.
Famous last words.
By the time we reached the lamppost, I was already hooked. While we were having tea with Mr. Tumnus, I decided I definitely wanted to read the book again. As He-Beaver led the troops to the Stone Table, I reminded myself to take notes the next time around. And when I met the majestic Aslan for the first time, I knew there was no turning back. I was going back into that wardrobe again.
I was mistaken; Narnia is more than just dessert. It's also pan-fried trout, boiled potatoes, a great and gloriously sticky marmalade roll with tea, and Turkish Delight, too.
I will leave the book reviews to those more articulate than I, but I will share a couple of thoughts at this early stage of my Narnian adventure. First, I found myself empathizing with Lucy when no one would believe her story. There are many Edmunds in my life, and I have often been in her shoes.
Look, look," I'd say as I point. "There's glorious life on the other side, but you have to go through the door. Just take the first step and keep walking beyond the lamppost. There will be battles with evil and sometimes the fear of the unknown, but there's also beauty and wonder and delight beyond description. And you must meet Aslan. There is no one like him, and until you know him you don't know what you're missing.
Second, through C.S. Lewis' masterful portrayal, I've been gently reminded of the need to infuse more childlike wonder and curiosity into my ordinary days. To steer away from the many do's and don'ts and to make room instead for treasure seeking and discovery.
Perhaps dessert instead of dinner is not such a bad idea after all, especially when a feast is thrown in as a side course.
Narnia Links:
Into the Wardrobe
John Piper on why he loves C.S. Lewis
Lessons from Narnia by Douglas Wilson
Which order should I read the books?
Turkish Delight
"And with many such parables He spoke the word to them as they were able to hear it." Mark 4:33

Hi Zelie~ So how long did it take you to get through the entire series?
ReplyDeleteUpdate: So much for waiting--Alan started reading it to the kids at bedtime tonight! :-)
You're doing some waxing yourself there, Miz Linda! ;-)
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteI followed Valerie's link over here. I wanted to comment that novels should be considered a very important part of the Christian life. They are stories within which we can make sense of the ideas we believe in (or contrast the things we believe with things we don't sometimes). Obviously good novels are better for this sort of thing than bad novels, and certainly Lewis is worth reading.
I have learned a tremendous amount about life, ethics, history, politics and many other things from novelists like Anthony Trollope, Mark Helprin, Robertson Davies and Patrick O'Brian, all of whose works I commend to you highly when you feel like finding more great "dessert".
Anonymous~ That is very kind of you. :-)
ReplyDeletePaul~ Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your thoughtful comments, and will be sure to check out your recommendations.
I should add that I have enjoyed excellent fiction in the past, notably books by Elizabeth Prentiss such as Stepping Heavenward and Aunt Jane's Hero. Friends have also recommended Lewis' Space Trilogy and the Tolkien books. I plan to make room for dessert more often in the future. :-)
Linda, as I sit here and type this, my youngest is reading The Silver Chair. It's his third time through Narnia, and I think he gets more out of each time.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your book suggestions on my blog! Gotta check 'em out.
Anonymous was me. Blogger is weird....
ReplyDeleteOh, it's you! Thank you, Miz Valerie.
ReplyDeleteKim~ So far Jonathan has been eating it up, and I think Alan is also close to getting hooked. Eating dessert together is a sweet thing.
Reading Narnia aloud to the kids is a totally different experience from reading it to yourself. The Chronicles were our boys' "big" Christmas present last year, and we started reading them right after the New Year, and loved every moment of reading them.
ReplyDeleteTulipGirl
This is one of the most memorable children's books for me. You simply must try Turkish Delight! I got some at Cost Plus. It tastes like you're eating roses, very apropos :)
ReplyDeleteTulipGirl~ Right now we're reading library copies, so I think getting our own set for Christmas is a splendid idea!
ReplyDeletePhisch~ Thanks for the tip, my fellow rose lover. I will have to get to CostPlus pronto! :-)
I still haven't read them yet! Better get onto it! Btw, I'm a different Kim. ;-)
ReplyDeleteI'm an adult journeying into Narnia for the first time myself. I saw a cartoon version as a child and the idea of a faun freaked me out. Kind of a good example of why children shouldn't watch TV adaptations of books.
ReplyDeleteI'm reading them aloud to my children right now. My 8-year-old son loves them. I think these books might be the impetus to get him to read on his own.
Kim from A Coffee and a Muffin~ Good to see you! I just visited your blog and am thrilled that you are starting to read the Chronicles too. Would love to hear the thoughts from a fellow Narnian traveler.
ReplyDeleteStaci~ A cartoon faun! *shudder.* It surprised (and encouraged) me to discover that a well-read writer such as yourself is also going through Narnia for the first time. Perhaps when you are done with NaNoWriMo, you will treat us to a review? (hint, hint.) :-)
ReplyDeleteAh, a fellow Narnia lover. A pleasure to meet you.
ReplyDeletePlease come take my Narnia personality quiz.
http://www.sparrowssong.com/skyrealm/alongthecrestofheaven.html
left margin, under Sparrow's Quizzes. And please leave a message telling us about your results along the quiz comment link provided.