Wednesday, October 13, 2004

On Crocodiles and Contentment

I have been enjoying seeing Donna's knitting projects on her blog. I thought about posting my latest knitting project, but alas, I can't knit. I can barely even crochet, which to my mind is easier than knitting. Trust me, no one wants to see my boring baby blankets.

Instead, I thought I should share with you a special gift I once received: a hand-crocheted crocodile. Please take a look at it, and I'll share a story about it.



Did you notice the fine craftsmanship and the attention to detail and color? If not, please take a good look at it again. I'll wait.

When I received this crocodile, I was told that the woman who had crocheted it was blind.

That's right, blind.

I looked at it once again, this time in awe and in appreciation for the portrait of dedication, patience and perseverance entwined in the double crochet stiches and yarn color changes.

If I think my life is difficult, I only need to ponder the crocodile.

A few friends and I have started going through a book together: Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow. It is a gem of a book. In the first chapter, she describes her friend's mother, Ella, a missionary who served in Africa for fifty-two years. Though she endured meager living conditions and no modern conveniences, she had lived a life of true contentment. Dillow writes, "Ella had a 'holy habit' of contentment. Her vision was clear, and she lived with an eternal perspective."

Years later, her daughter found an old diary that contained Ella's prescription for contentment:

1. Never allow yourself to complain about anything--not even the weather.
2. Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else.
3. Never compare your lot with another's.
4. Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.
5. Never dwell on tomorrow--remember that [tomorrow] is God's, not ours.

Dillow concludes, "Ella possessed a soul sufficiency, a peace separate from her circumstances."

I am counting my blessings today.

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all things through Him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13


5 comments:

  1. The croc is very dear! How amazing that the maker was blind. Very inspiring. Ella sounds like a wonderful woman too. I'm going to look for the book you are reading. It sounds great!

    Thank you for mentioning my blog! I love meeting and getting to know new people...from all over the world!

    Great post!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna!

    Yes, you'll have to get the book! We're reading it together as a group, one chapter a week, and I need all the self-control I can muster to not read ahead.

    I'd love to hear your feedback when you read it.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, what a great list of things to guide us on our daily walk. I especially like the part about not complaining or comparing ourselves. Comparing myself is something I do far too often. Sounds like a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know that I'll ever keep quiet about the hot 'n sticky summers, but... *wink*

    I'm amazed at the skills (and stories) behind so many things. The lap blanket I'm making right now for Gram is a "thank you" for her taking the time to teach me all she did last summer. She is Zorak's grandmother, she's 96, she's blind... and she can tat/crochet/knit/shell pecans better than eight of me could EVER do! She's one of my heroes. She is such a blessing, and has an outlook so similar to Ella's- and the light of contentment and joy shines in her eyes even today.

    Dy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim~ "Comparing myself is something I do far too often." You and I both, but I think that's fairly common among women; don't you think? I keep reminding myself that the only one worth emulating is Jesus.

    Dy~ Your Gram sounds like an incredible woman. I wonder if she would share her list of life's lessons? I'm sure we could all learn many things from her.

    Did I mention that the crocodile is about 2 feet long? It still amazes me every time I look at it.

    ReplyDelete